You can't help but go among mad people. We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad. You must be mad, or you wouldn't have come here.
~Cheshire Cat

18 August 2012

Curioser and curioser

I apologize for the recent themes of my posts being about crime and the mentally ill. I can't help but be drawn to these stories and react to them.
Pardon my language, but it really pisses me off that mental illnesses are sensationalized in the news and treated as a prerequisite to someone committing murder. Drug use, abuse, neglect, and mistreatment can all be environmental causes of distress that often result in mental illness-type symptoms, but they do not directly cause mental illness.
They are often contributing factors for people who are predisposed to mental illness.
It is a growing problem in this country.
Mental illness is not taken as a medical condition, but rather as something criminally punishable.
Most people don't understand how to "deal with" or "handle" those who are mentally ill, often labeling them as crazy, insane, and essentially not worthy of medical attention.
I read this story today and I can't help but feel my blood boil.
How is this happening?
Police Shoot and Kill Mentally Ill Man - Over 30 Shots Fired

Law enforcement is supposed to "protect and serve." I wonder when they will start doing that...



‘My name is Alice, so please your Majesty,’ said Alice very
 politely; but she added, to herself, ‘Why, they’re only a pack
of cards, after all. I needn’t be afraid of them!’

‘And who are THESE?’ said the Queen, pointing to the three
gardeners who were lying round the rosetree; for, you see, as
they were lying on their faces, and the pattern on their backs
was the same as the rest of the pack, she could not tell
whether they were gardeners, or soldiers, or courtiers, or
three of her own children.
‘How should I know?’ said Alice, surprised at her own
courage. ‘It’s no business of MINE.’
The Queen turned crimson with fury, and, after glaring at her
for a moment like a wild beast, screamed ‘Off with her head!
Off—’

‘Nonsense!’ said Alice, very loudly and decidedly, and the
Queen was silent.
The King laid his hand upon her arm, and timidly said ‘Consider, my dear: she is only a child!’


No comments:

Post a Comment